View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 AM   #23
GreatWyrmGold

Default Re: GURPS: Remnant: Fan-made rules for adventuring in the world of RWBY

Armor

Armor is rare on Remnant; many combatants feel that their Aura is sufficient protection, and that armor would slow them down more than protect them. Warriors with weaker Auras or less skill may use lighter armor, however.

Shields are more common; statistics for various types of shields can be found in the Basic Set and need no modification.

Spoiler:  

Vehicles

Automobiles powered by Dust exist, though they are more expensive to run and more explosive than those on Earth.
Airships of various types also exist. These are easier to create with Remnan technology than Terran because...well...I don't know and can't make up a good reason, they just are. In fact, airships seem to be the dominant mode of transportation outside of the Kingdoms.
Trains have been seen outside the Kingdoms, transporting Dust (presumably from mines to Vale).

Miscellaneous

Scrolls are terminals to central computers located at the Transmit Towers.[sup]8[/sup] They consist of two bars, connected by a collapsible rod, which produce a holographic field between them. Scrolls can be used as recording devices, displays, and even keys. They have service essentially anywhere aboveground. $1,500 for the tablet-sized version, $1,000 for the smartphone-sized version.
Remnan computers are based on Dust matrices, powered in part by Aura.[sup]9[/sup] See GURPS High-Tech for rules on computers. Dust-matrix computers have -4 to Complexity and ten times the storage of a TL 8 computer, but cost 100 times as much.
Wireless communication is relatively simple on Remnant. The Atlas-designed Transmit Towers send beams of invisible energy through the air, connecting with each other and virtually every device in the Kingdoms. The massive Cross-Continental Transmit Towers include massive supercomputers, as do some institutions and the most wealthy of families; most "computers" are terminals that simply connect to one of these and borrow some of their computing power.
Robots are a relatively new technology on Remnant, taking advantage of the Aura-based nature of Remnan computing to more easily duplicate human decision-making processes. There are rumors of truly sentient artificial intelligences capable of generating their own Aura, but these are unsubstantiated at this time.

Footnotes

1: Based on estimates from an earlier post.
2: GURPS High-Tech, page 13. Remember, these are GURPS $, not American dollars.
3: A bit over $140/ounce
4: This means that a single gram of Dust provides about as much energy as a Medium battery[sup]2[/sup][sup]10[/sup]
5: I prefer the metric system, but it's never been mentioned on Remnant; besides, the old Imperial system just fits Remnant better, in the author's opinion. In any case, that's a bit over $10/gram.
6: I start with the listed power cell requirement of a comparable GURPS Ultra-Tech weapon. I then assume that an A cell has power comparable to that of a Small battery (GURPS High Tech) which coincidentally means that a AA battery is comparable to a AA power cell. This means that Dust cells for these weapons cost roughly five times as much as comparable default power cells. Prices were adjusted for founding.
7: This idea was largely inspired in large part by Pyrrha's comment[sup]11[/sup] that a Huntsman's "tools and equipment are conduits for Aura.
8: It sounds good. Like, both good as in "fits in with the excellent wireless communication technology, apparently sub-par nature of Remnan computers for most tasks, and lack of space in Scrolls for their own microchips" and as in "it sounds cool".
9: I created a version that makes sense in my head and tried to apply appropriate engineerey words.
10: An ounce of Dust is off the scale—equivalent to seven very large batteries. Incidentally, those are car batteries.
11: Citation: RWBY, Season 1, Volume 1, Episode 5, "The Emerald Forest Part 1".

Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 09-13-2015 at 06:31 AM.
GreatWyrmGold is offline   Reply With Quote