View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 08:45 AM   #46
whswhs

Default Re: Thaumaturgic Automata and Draw Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I thought we had covered the bit about kW/s being the change in wattage before, or am I wrong?

And while my terminology might be off, the point stands that a kWs isn't something delivered by a battery or other stored power source
The point is that change in wattage, though it is possible to define as a physical unit, is not a variable that has a lot of actual use in physics or engineering.

As for batteries, vitruvian is right. In fact, batteries characteristically have a standard voltage that they deliver (it's a function of the metals that the two electrodes are made of); and batteries are rated for their total stored capacity in units of ampere-seconds (a 10-As battery could deliver 10 A for one second, or 1 A for 10 seconds, or 10 mA for 1000 seconds). So a battery has, say, 1.5 V x 100 As = 150 Vas = 150 Ws (since a watt is a volt times an ampere) = 0.15 kWs = 0.15 kJ (since a joule is the energy you deliver if you have a power flow of a watt sustained over a second). Or, since an As is a coulomb (the unit of charge), 1.5 V x 100 As = 1.5 V x 100 C = 150 VC = 150 J = 0.15 kJ.

The unit of kWs, or kJ, isn't explicitly stated for the battery, but it follows from what is stated and from the definitions of the units.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote