View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
doulos05

Default Re: Will buy: UT2: Revised / Reworked Weapon Tables (Post-Pyramid etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Ummm...newb here. Can someone tell me what's wrong with UT? I've heard of issues with both weapon damage (which I can figure out simply by comparing to HT) and armor. Is there a concise statement of the issue somewhere?

I must admit...I got back into GURPS precisely to avoid having these kinds of issues, so it's a little disheartening to see so much angst over UT's stats!
The issue, in a nutshell, is that UT weapons and armor cannot co-exist with HT weapons and armor. The values are too low for the UT weapons and armor to be viable against them.

Additionally, weapons compare strangely against each other, and that's made worse by the invisible setting which informed the design of UT weapons. You see, LT and HT both have a 'default setting' which informed the design of the weapons and equipment you see there: reality. But we don't have a real example of a laser pistol to compare the stats to. So, while UT is meant to be a generic catalog of equipment suitable for any UT campaign, it had to be designed with a setting in mind. The assumptions of that setting are ill-defined (because UT is not a setting book) and contrary to what a lot of people expect in their games. Which isn't really a fair critique of the book, but that's what you get.

EDIT: Oh, and yes I'd totally buy this. And I don't even anticipate running a UT game for at least several years.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote