Thread: GIN Ultra-Lite
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
Acolyte

Default Re: GIN Ultra-Lite

I've been thinking about this over the last week or so, and after a chat with Rocket Man that helped me tease meaning out of the more GURPS-specific language, I think I can comment more sensibly than before.

First, the name! Because GIN UL clearly isn't appropriate, and new-IN-that-used-to-be-GIN-UL is unwieldy, he and I have taken to calling this IN:Reprise. Keeps the music motif and suggests fresh new things without a complete break. Also more fun than 3d6IN.

On salvaging the CD, because it's one really pretty thing you lose going to d666: why does that have to remove the CD? Assuming you have dice that are different enough to point at one and say "that's the CD", you can roll 3d6, total all of them (including the CD) to see success or failure, and use the CD die for degree of success. Mathwise, this does make high-CD successes more unlikely (if your CD is a 6, on average your total roll will be 13), especially at low skill levels, but...that doesn't necessarily bother me (more skilled people should perform more admirably, right?), and I don't think the difference will be monstrously pronounced. I'm certainly not averse to using degree of success instead of the CD, but it's not as if the CD can't be included in IN:Reprise.

Question about Forces and base characteristics: how do you model things with scores far below human normal? A squirrel must have a single Corporeal Force, meaning it's currently going to start with a Str of 6 and an Agi of 10, which is a bit wonky. What's the best way to handle that? (the Kyrios will surely want to know)

Question about automatic failures: Obviously, rolling an 18 is an Infernal Intervention. What about rolling a 17? My gut says there's no need for that to be a failure as well.

Songs: Double Forces+Song Level isn't wholly elegant, although it's pretty close to the right numbers. What about casting Songs as Skills--that is, off characteristics? Perhaps all Songs use the "power" characteristic (Str/Int/Will), or perhaps they use the "finesse" one (Agi/Pre/Per), or perhaps each Song says which it uses (example: Songs of Charm use the "power" characteristic, so to sing the Ethereal Song of Charm you roll Int+Ethereal Charm, whereas Songs of Light use the "finesse" ones, so to roll Corporeal Song of Light you roll Agi+Corporeal Light). This isn't exactly elegant either, but if the Skill TNs are in the right place, making the Songs work like Skills might not be a terrible idea. And your number of Forces still influences the Song TN, via their influence on characteristics. Perhaps this can lead to some good brainstorming. (Should Songs be so much harder to use, since you have to spend all those CPs on them and their use is already limited by Essence AND fears of creating Disturbance? I don't really think so.)

Risk: (pg 39 IN core) What's the best way to implement this rule with a 3d6 spread?

Reaction rolls: I almost never use these myself, relying on plot-driven, ad-hoc reactions that do take into account Cha and Status and such. Assuming the were migrating over, what would the new base TN be? How much should each level of Cha/Status add?

Using Essence to boost rolls: Is it best to simply acknowledge how the bellcurve more dramatically alters what you get for a point of Essence depending on what your TN already is and move on? A point of Essence at either end of the scale might get you almost no benefit, but one in the middle nets you a comparatively huge chance-of-success increase.

...and I think that's it for now. I am really itching to get playing IN with these rules.