View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
JCurwen3

Default Re: Shedim and Kyriotate Resonances in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I don't know anything about GURPS at all, but just to clarify one point about the regular IN resonance mechanics: Despite that it's easy to interpret the text as you do, there's been a lot of discussion outside the original rule books to clarify that Shedim DO control their hosts. The hosts interprets what the demons do as their own actions, and can try to regain control if the demon does something particularly heinous, but from a mechanical standpoint, the demon can do whatever it wants.

One way to think about it: It may be confusing for the host to remember later barking out what seems like gibberish to strangers (i.e., a conversation in Helltongue), but that's not something the host would even be able to do if it weren't actual, full-on possession, and Shedim can do that.
Okay, that's fair, and seeing it that way would make building the ability with Possession easier. I guess Shedim can be said to be using Mind Control on their hosts not so much to get them to perform actions (because the Shedite can do that anyway as you've pointed out), but to convince them their actions were their idea and that they wanted to do them (and to corrupt them so that they afterwards can rationalize them).