View Single Post
Old 02-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #7
Anaraxes

Default Re: Psionic Powers: Awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
He only discerns the relief of the assassin, so unless it has a considerably unique shape, he cannot discern it from a humanoid of the same type later on.
"{Extra-Sensory Awareness} can distinguish fine relief as perfectly as the human eye.... Make a skill roll each minute to use Awareness, as well as to make out fine details, notice clues, etc."

That includes facial structures. This isn't a Scanning Sense with low resolution, like Radar.

Identification is going to be somewhat hampered by the lack of color. But would you rule that a color-blind person is unable to recognize an individual? Take a a look at the left-hand side of this MRI image, which not only loses color but eyebrows and other hair. Impossible to recognize? I wouldn't think so, though I would assess a penalty for missing detail. (Notice the right-hand side has been literally "de-faced"; the image is a demo of an algorithm that exists precisely to render MRI images unrecognizable, which wouldn't be necessary if the lack of color and detail were sufficient to prevent recognition on their own.)

Quote:
I'd say {reading a book}'s possible, but would require penalized rolls or long tasks to do so.
I'd disagree. Normal books are all about color contrast between the ink and paper. Perhaps heavily engraved or intaglio printing would be readable, but I doubt most print is thick enough to be discernable to the human-eye benchmark mentioned in the ability description.

Quote:
It depends on the camo. Painted doesn't work because you're relying on contour for your waves to hit and get back to you, so image means nothing.
Agree. Though the setting conceivably has "ESP camo", which scatters or alters the intensity of the return signal in much the same way as visible-light camo is intended to do for human eyes, or stealth for radar. Psi-hunters assassins might have access to such gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy
I don't have the clearest idea of how this functions in 3e
This is a different ability than the one you were asking about in the other thread, so unfortunately the responses here won't be relevant.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote