View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #79
TippetsTX

Default Re: New use for XP - Heroic Exploits

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Most of these sound a lot like spells. Why not just have people expend XP to gain the ability to cast spells, and perhaps add a spell or two that introduces a power you like? This would avoid the introduction of a new sub-system and just use one that is already core to the game.
Thanks for your feedback Lars.

Yes, some of the Powers could be re-tooled as spells and that still may be the approach depending on how my playtesting goes. The reason I would prefer not to use the existing spells rules is that one of my primary design goals was to create an option for heroic abilities that are 'class' agnostic. The Channeling portfolio is a good example of this... the Powers can work just as well for a cleric-style wizard or a paladin-style hero. The XP costs would be the same for either archetype and having Powers as a separate sub-system means the GM can easily take them or leave them as the campaign or desired character concepts demand. In addition, and I know that the power-sets I've shared so far may not reflect this well, some of the Powers I intend to create will be less magical in nature. Some will be for more physical feats.

BTW, check out the thread covering my Mystic Monk portfolio as well.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 01-20-2019 at 04:28 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote