View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
malloyd

Default Re: Would it be possible to stablish your own banks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
How large a fee are we talking about here? I want to know if having their own branches offshore for operatives is worth eating the costs.
It varies a lot - there's a *lot* of competition - but $50/month per merchant is probably the right range for something nobody is using.

Per transaction fees are usually something like $0.25 plus 1 to 2% of the total, but if somebody actually is using it, the merchants will probably be willing to pay that part. Incidentally this is why vendors hate to take credit cards for small amounts, the flat fee eats the profit margin.

Edit: It's not really clear to me what the goal here is (the bit about operatives makes it sound like it's some sort of espionage cover, but what would a credit card network do for that?). If all you want is a credit or debit card with your logo on it, just cut a co-branding deal with Mastercard, Visa, Discover or AmEx. That usually works out to a net positive cash flow to you (your cut of the fees exceeds anything you pay them) and automatically makes "your" card work anywhere that type of card does. That's what most banks do really - my Bank of America and First Federal debit cards are cobranded with Visa (oddly my Bank of America credit card is cobranded with Mastercard, but I think that's because it was a cobrand with the Georgia Tech Alumni Association when I got it, since bought out by BoA).

Last edited by malloyd; 01-16-2019 at 09:07 PM.
malloyd is online now   Reply With Quote