View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #10
Skarg

Default Re: How to live forever in TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
More in line with the subject line, does anybody else handle aging avoidance through Shapeshifting the same way as my house rules?
I fortunately don't see a lot of attempted Shapeshifting. I don't think anyone has ever attempted to use it to avoid aging in my games.

The TFT Shapeshifting spell description mentions attributes may be assigned within limits, but IQ can't raise and the total of ST+DX can't raise, and it does not mention aging, so I think you are asking how you limit a fringe side effect that you are assuming exists but isn't actually mentioned.

I'm confident that, given the difficulty and cost of the Youth potion, for example, that there is no intention that any wizard with Shapeshifting can reset his age by casting a spell for 10 fatigue. So I'd tend to pro-rate your effective age relative of the lifespan of the creature you shift into. That means shifting into an 18-year-old is not an option, and you'd never increase your longevity except by becoming something naturally long-lived and hanging out in that form (unless the GM says you still age according to your original race).

When I review spells for who knows what variant of what spell in a campaign, and I get to Shapeshifting, I usually find I want to re-think it and its details and implications each time. I think about how I want it to be used (or not) and adjust to taste. Usually my choice ends up being that very few people know or use Shapeshifting, if it's known at all, except when I think of some interesting application I want some people to use it for.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote