View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #2943
tbone

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'd rather not have to listen to the players using broken English for the entire campaign.
Speaking of which: Among DFRPG's ready-made delvers, Argua and Miao Miao have nonstandard ways of speaking. Maybe quirky enough to count as Accented, in the case of Miao Miao; and Broken, or close to it, for Argua.

There's nothing on the character forms that accounts for this. (That includes Argua's Social Stigma (Savage); there's nothing preventing someone with that disad from being perfectly eloquent, as Grükuk Kzaash demonstrates.)

Is this a problem? No. Call it a bit of fun personalization, which of course is a good thing. It just made me think that Argua's speech, in particular, would have offered a good opportunity to demonstrate a character with less-than-Native language ability (or some exotic Native language, plus Accented or Broken Common language).

No big deal. (I'll just telepathically send newbie GMs a note that, since Argua doesn't have any disad or other traits suggesting funny speech, any conversation between her and others is assumed to be fully fluent and understood in both directions; the "Hulk smash!" feel is just a special effect.)

Incidentally, a tangent: Anyone notice that all 15 pre-gens have Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions)? Interesting. It's a nice detail, IMO: If the typical group is (probably) going to play in classic "watch each other's backs" style – buff the fighter who needs it, save the scout from the troll nest, etc. – then the PCs might as well take the available points for that.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote