View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #10
martinl

Default Re: Dag's Discount Henchmen: A Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I always had trouble watching that show. The picture kept getting blurry.

Those old analog sets, you know?
Yeah, I used to watch it an a 3.5" B&W set when I twas but a wee nipper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Hank is closely related to the All-Seeing Eye Dog...
That's great, although I was in part inspired by this and this, and the Paladog PC in an irregular DnD5 game I'm in. (One of his schticks is that his detect evil ability also triggers on squirrels.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
(very nice things)
Thanks! Dogs with character in RPGs is not new, but I like to think I added at least a little spin of my own.

Four additional thoughts.

1. Hank could be upgraded to PC status with a little work, given a player who is into that sort of thing. Sense evil and turning seem like gimmes, after that maybe better stats, more skills and spells, and some form of defense. Right now he is toast if attacked by anything tougher than fodder.

2. Hank seems ideal for adding to a bunch of PCs who all went with various Half-Ogre fighting types (which given the sample characters I've seen here, could easily happen). He can play a secondary role as a "Thinking Brain Dog."

3. "Hank, heel!" results in Hank trotting over and applying his healing skills and spells. (This is a bad pun AND an alternate way to add Hank to a game where no PC has relevant skills or interests. Of course, he could also just show up with a "henchman needed" poster in his teeth and show his stuff.)

4. Hank has no SoD: AC and is a giant goody four paws. If your PCs are hard to the murder side of the murderhobo axis, there will be trouble.

Last edited by martinl; 12-05-2017 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote