View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 AM   #7
Mailanka

Default Re: Why does 4e give a flat cost for attribute increases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
And of course the issues with raising all skills at once, or all defaults. The system works well with DX and IQ in the 8-13 range, but buying either above 13 seems very cost-effective to me in practice, in many ways. But, it's interesting to see what others think.
Most people don't go above 13 unless they're really focused on that attribute, and I find higher than 15 exceedingly rare. While it's true that this is a good way to raise many skills at once, not that many characters have that many skills. I find it far more common for characters to pick a few skills that they really like (say, Broadsword or Stealth) and jack them to unbelievable levels. That's much more common than IQ 20. For characters who have a group of related skills, talents become more common than high levels of attribute

I will note that IQ is a bit of a special case: Mental skills tend, in my experience, to be more common than physical skills (I run a lot of sci-fi and my fantasy games have a strong social/political component to them), and if you "buy back" Will and Perception, IQ becomes very cheap. I haven't seen the need yet, but if you find people are going crazy with IQ, consider the separate Will/Perception house rule that RPK has.