View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #19
DataPacRat

Default Re: [Spaceships] Magnetic Shielding above TL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Take a look at page 4, table c. That shows penetration in tissue and titanium (penetration appears to be the logarithm of penetration, in centimeters). The curve for penetration depth in titanium appears to hit the bottom of the chart (-2, or 0.1mm) at about 0.1c.
... That makes my life ridiculously simpler. I can reduce the magshield down to a token, mostly for a bit extra rPF while at a star system instead of during the long voyage.

My attention was focused on table b, the rem/s, extrapolating that down to 0.01c and working from there. I completely missed the one you just described.

That also implies that the radiation dose is mostly from uncharged cosmic rays, and at 0.01c those are pretty much the same as while stationary - 104 rad/year. A lot better than 0.5/second, but 104,000 (minus whatever's blocked by rPF) over a trip still needs some mitigation; if nothing else, keeping the probe's minifac busy melting down and rebuilding every component multiple times. pB436 mentions that every 100 rads a piece of electronics experiences needs a HT roll,so an effective rPF of 1,000 would be nice, but that would need a main rPF of 100,000 because of cosmic rays' penetration, which is kind of infeasible for any probe on this scale.

Unless I'm missing a trick - which I think we've established I'm rather prone to.

The setting's technobabble includes some new understandings of some basic physics, such as how photons and neutrinos work; if need be, I can nudge the details to include a new trick that counts as superscience, though I'd prefer keeping any such gizmo as low-key as possible.
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote