View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #38
Bruno

Default Re: How good would a sword made out of a meteorite really be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Theoretically: the decay of Fe-54 is too rare ever to have been observed, and Fe-60 is extinct.
My knowledge of this subject is of course as sketchy as most peoples, but wouldn't you be able to manufacture Fe-60 in a particle accelerator? I don't know why you'd do that, but I'm sort of trying to sort the ways this works out in my head.

And the other question is could you end up with a radioactive isotope by exposing it to some other highly energetic environment for a sufficient amount of time? The classic RPG one is either a "simple" nuclear explosion or lying around in a post nuclear wasteland, but there's also inside a reactor (whether normal and active, or melted down a-la-chernobyl, or a "natural" reactor like the ones they've found in Africa with the funky radiation-based ecosystems) or I suppose hanging around near a radioactive super-being. But once you've got radioactive super-beings, all physics has gone flying out the window and it's really only "radiation", not anything particularly related to reality.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote