View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #30
JLV

Default Re: TFT - Game Accessories

Yep, same here. To my mind complaining about the hexes versus squares for mapping simply shows a lack of imagination in certain ways. In fact, I believe there are very good rules for this issue in GURPS in terms of mapping and playing on a map of a square building while using hexagons.

Also, you can use hexes to show things like spiral stairs, towers, and the like very effectively. I do realize that the mapping system shown in the original ITL was deficient, mostly because they failed to explain their "edge" (literally) cases well and provided zero guidelines for effectively mapping square/rectangular buildings -- had they done a better job of that, then I think a lot of the confusion initially engendered by the mapping style would have been laid to rest at the start. (I suspect that this was a function of HT wanting to get the thing in print ASAP, and not permitting additional clarifications and such to get in the way of his publishing schedule -- which is also somewhat understandable from HT's perspective -- continuing to design something does not equal having it out there being sold and raising money.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote