View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 02:36 AM   #257
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I thought so too. I thought the idea for a larger-unit combat system in Lords of Underearth was good, but HT's later design efforts seemed to want to dumb things down (not the direction we wanted) and were not nearly as well designed or edited as SJ's stuff. I tried it and realized it wasn't as good as the wargame systems I was already using for larger combats, and that it had silly things like the narrow tunnel modifier meaning one dwarf champion could not only hold a narrow tunnel against 100 orcs, the 100 orcs would all die... etc.
Ha! Yeah, I remember that! Of course, it makes perfect sense if you're writing a fantasy novel a la Tolkien -- one hero is easily worth 100 of those nasty, cowardly, orcs... But it kind of screwed up the game -- plus the method for translating individuals into LoU small-unit terms didn't work that great, as I recall; probably because they didn't really fully develop it. Sorry to bring this up here, but SJG did a pretty good job with GURPS Mass Combat -- maybe they can use some similar structure for small skirmishes -- and even large battles -- in TFT!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote