View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #55
Nils_Lindeberg

Default Re: IQ to power spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
But is it that much different than the double -- nay, quadruple value -- that you get by increasing ST under the RAW? And make it quintuple value for a wizard. All the three attributes have multiple functions in this system, and any increase to one attribute has more than a single effect on the entire character (which is super-efficient game design, and I do love it).

So there's an external Mana stat, with more limitations than the internalized, personal Mana stat. Both are initialized by IQ. And with less potential game imbalance for those who are worried about that, but still want to strengthen starting wizards. And for all it's usefullness, it still could get lost or broken, and have to be replaced from scratch.
IQ for a wizard has always been the primary stat, even more so since you can easily get power stones and now mana staffs to compensate for ST and DX has a diminishing return, while high IQ spells can make a big difference outside of combat, and sometimes even in combat. Most of the uses for ST and DX are not used by a wizard in a good party. DX is needed to hit, with spells, and ST to survive a stray arrow or an odd attack from comparatively low level minions that outnumber/outflank the party's tanks. Fatigue could possibly be a factor in some adventures, but not that often a bottle neck compared to actually using it for casting spells. And if you don't have many talents DX as talent/saves stat will not be used either. But with a high IQ you can to some rolls, avoid being cheated and lied to, etc.

So it's not a minor thing to move 1 out of 5 uses for ST to the "lesser" stat IQ that is underpowered anyways. This might be so in your campaigns, but in my campaigns all three stats are used equally from the start. Sure I have seen ST16 fighters and IQ16 wizards, but not the other way around. But usually characters stay within the bounds of 9-13 with maybe 1 stat outside that range, maybe. And that is a good thing. I would rather see more uses for ST for wizards, maybe wearing cloth without penalties at ST14 or Toughness at normal talent cost for Wizards. Or a regain mana faster if you have a high ST talent, Like Constitution(IQ8) Prereq ST13 that gets you 1 fatigue per 10m.

In the same way, would I like to see some more fighting talents at higher IQ levels like Eyes in the Back, Improved Sweep, Stand Firm, Military Formations, Aggressive Defence (you can attack at DX-6 when defending). So Heroes that go all out fighting still can make use of all IQ levels and not only Expertise. Maybe even some weapons (both 1-h and 2-h) for high ST to encourage that. High DX is already ok since you might need it for initiative, talents, high saves, armor penalties and when fighting experts. In short more options so that any combination of stats can be somewhat viable in a party, but in different ways. So more options, not less. More variety, not more cookie-cutter builds.

But that is just my opinion on how to improve the one thing that makes TFT great and unique. I don't know of any other game that tries and succeeds in making all stats almost equally important for all builds. Just the possibility of a wizard with IQ as his lowest stat is innovative and interesting. Since magic talent in Cidri doesn't come with a high IQ guarantee there should be plenty of IQ8 wizards out there. :-)
Nils_Lindeberg is offline   Reply With Quote