View Single Post
Old 07-28-2019, 02:31 AM   #52
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: IQ to power spells

Shoug, thanks for such a well reasoned critique. I want to come back to a couple of your other points later, but it's late and this may be the most relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoug View Post
Do you think that RAW starting wizards are too weak? If you do, all of this discussion of mana limits and whatnot makes sense. I personally don't think the original rules for wizards failed so catastrophically that I feel the need to give them 1000+(200*IQ) free XP upon character creation.
In a word, yes. I think starting wizards are too weak, and that's the main reason I'm a proponent of this whole idea. I like some of the other work-arounds for that problem that others have proposed as well, but favor this one for a few reasons I've mentioned here and there in my other posts.

I would never go so far as to say the original rules for wizards failed catastrophically. In fact, when my group came up with our house rule to use IQ-based mana to power spells, we made it a player's option to use that or a ST based wizard as in the RAW, and most of us including myself still used ST-based spell casting. So the World didn't end!
Steve Plambeck is offline   Reply With Quote