View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 12:24 AM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: Large Vehicle Control Roll modifiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vethano View Post
I assume that vehicle Handling modifies both rolls, given the emphasis on 'all', but it seems odd to me that the handling of, say, a tallship out at sea affects the crew's ability to manage the sails. Is Handling in this case supposed to be a sort of stand in for a bad footing penalty, indicating how rough (or smooth) the ride is? Or should Handling only apply to Shiphandling after all?
In my humble opinion, the -3 doesn't represent the crew's ability to manage the sails, the vision (which is an other modifier, as described in the rules) or anything like that ... It represents the speed and easiness with which the vehicle responds to what the crew and the captain do. And a large boat does respond very slowly ... So, it is why it is much harder to make control rolls than with a canoe for instance.

Remember the titanic ... They saw the iceberg. But, unfortunately, to late to react ... Some said that a better reaction would have avoid the disaster: accelerating instead of slowing down, to turn more rapidly ... I don't know if it is true, but, in game terms, it would have mean a higher skill for the captain or a better roll.

Last edited by Gollum; 07-22-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote