Thread: Tsunami-1
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #29
Tomsdad

Default Re: Tsunami-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Well, as Michele said back in post #13, the trick is affording it. There are plenty of scientists and engineers who can have the necessary insights, but this is an expensive project and the UK has many other things to pay for.
My question over the US bankrolling it is the US is recovering from a massive disaster. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it could if it really wanted to, but would they really want to enough to do it? Especially on something that is as unknown and open ended as what ever this version of the Manhattan project would be.

There's also the question that if the US is bankrolling it one assume they'll also want access to it. (Which shouldn't be a major problem really, but in this TL we don't have the same side by side shared fighting history and close co-operation you do in OTL)

On actually doing it the theory might have been known, but there is still a lot of unknowns and pitfalls between drawing board and deliverable weapon system. Not forgetting you also need a delivering platform a technology that also requires a significant development* and practice, it's just in OTL we were already doing that to drop conventional bombs of course.

*the B-29 bomber project cost more than the Manhattan project! Not that the B-29 was the only 4 prop heavy bomber of course but once you get away from the B-29 other options have disadvantages.