View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
Steel Lemming

Default Spillover fire from OGRE AP

I was going to report this as a bug, but after rereading the spillover rules maybe I've been interpreting '7.05.1 AP weapons' wrong for decades.

I have always played it where AP weapons only affected INFANTRY and 0 def targets. This included other units stacked with the primary target for spillover. If a stack of 3 INF, 1 INF, a D0 CP, and a HT are stacked together. Then, AP weapons would attack and spillover normally vs the INF and CP, but ignore the HT.

In the Ogre video game though, I just had 2 SHVY disabled when a MK5 fired AP at the INF stacked with them. Rule '7.12.2 Units affected by spillover fire' seems to support that, but I believe 7.05.1 should take president over the lack of an explicit exception being called out in 7.12.2.

How as everyone else played this on the table?

Is there an official clarification of this somewhere that I've missed?

** 7.05.1 AP weapons. Some units have antipersonnel weapons, effective only against infantry (including special infantry types) and D0 units such as a regular (unarmored) CP. A unit may not fire AP at the same infantry unit more than once per turn, but any number of AP weapons may be used for that single attack.

Note: Any weapon may be used against infantry. AP weapons are useless against anything except infantry, targets with defense of 0, and other targets as designated in scenarios.

*** 7.12.2 Units affected by spillover fire. All units (friendly or enemy) in a hex are affected by spillover fire, except: (a) a unit’s own fire does not spill over onto it, and no spillover fire is calculated in an overrun; (b) separate spillover fire is not calculated for a tank and the infantry riding it (Section 5.11.2), and (c) Ogres and buildings ignore spillover fire.
Steel Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote