View Single Post
Old 04-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
b-dog

Default Re: Henotheism in the Nordland world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
This seems like a valid approach and one that I may take as well. With Greek and Norse gods, it feels quite appropriate too. Already the pantheons are basically families of squabbling deities. Now there are just other squabbling families in the neighborhood. I can see them forming intrafamily alliances to battle each other (Greeks vs. Norse, as you suggested) or forming interfamily alliances to defend the world itself against True Evil.

One of my favorite books for the third edition of GURPS was GURPS Religion (still available as a PDF). Its chapter on Deities covers some of this territory, especially the section on Relationships, pp. 34-37. The Traditions chapter also has a section on Polytheism (pp. 131-132) that is pertinent.
I agree GURPS Religion is a good book. For me I like the idea that different societies can fight or get along but still be good and Divine. Having Odin just be Zeus makes it hard to roll play their clerics if there is war between the Norse and the Greeks. I would think that a priest of Odin going to a temple of Zeus and saying they are the same god does not sit well with me either. I prefer the gods to be unique and have their own way and style of worship. Plus some gods do not match well onto other gods of other pantheons.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote