Thread: GIN Ultra-Lite
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #37
dataweaver

Default Re: GIN Ultra-Lite

Still looking for the Kyrio Force requirements; I know I've seen them before, but for the life of me I can't seem to find them.

Yes, cats are larger than mice, even in terms of the abstract scaling that we've been talking about here; but they're not that much bigger, so their "base Agility" isn't going to be much different: IIRC, cats require two Kyrio Forces to possess while mice require only one, meaning that a mouse's "baseline" Agility would only be one point higher than the cat's.

As well, cats tend to be skilled hunters, emphasis on "skilled"; chances are that your cat has high levels in tracking and fighting skills. In a typical cat-and-mouse situation, the cat's skill more than makes up for the mouse's slightly better baseline Agility; and that's not counting the fact that the mouse isn't going to have more than one Corporeal Force, whereas the cat will potentially have two.

As for the "catching a mouse in a cup" scenario: note that you had to corner the mouse first, leading to a significant situational modifier based on the fact that the mouse no longer has any room to maneuver. Try catching the mouse in a cup while it's scurrying around the kitchen and tell me that it doesn't have Agility of 11 or more.

And IIRC, horses are one Size larger than humans according to that Kyrio scale; so their Agility (using the asymmetric progression) would be 4 plus whatever characteristic points you devote to Agility. My guess is that horses tend to have two or three Corporeal Forces (as opposed to the one or two that humans have): if we say that the typical human would put 3 into Strength and 3 into Agility (which isn't possible, because that would require 1.5 Corporeal Forces) for scores of 9 in each, then the typical horse would be putting 5 into each of Strength and Agility, for a Strength of 12 and an Agility of 9.

Let's assume for the moment that "+1 Size" tends to mean "+1 Force". This is not an iron-clad requirement; just a rule of thumb. Also, I would expect animals to tend to focus their Forces toward the Corporeal Realm even more than humans do: it should not be uncommon to encounter an animal that has all of its Forces in the Corporeal Realm, especially at the low end of the scale; but even at the high end, it should be rare for an animal to put more than one Force each into the Ethereal and Celestial Realms; one might even be justified in saying that most animals aren't permitted to have more than two Ethereal or Celestial Forces (really smart species might be permitted more, while really dumb ones, such as insects, might not be allowed to have even one Ethereal or Celestial Force; in fact, a case could be made that a cap of one Force in each of the Ethereal and Celestial realms is typical, and only unusually clever animals such as dogs and cats are permitted two). For the most part, "more Forces" means "more Corporeal Forces" where animals are concerned. Certainly, once you get larger than humans you are unlikely to see additional Forces being spread out among three Realms.

So, as far as large animals are concerned, "+1 Size" would mean "+1 Strength", "-2 Agility", and "+4 Corporeal Characteristics". Assuming those Characteristic points are evenly divided, that would mean an average of +3 Strength and +0 Agility per +1 Size. If anything, we're underselling Strength for large animals.

(On a related note, I'm thinking that there might be Ethereal and Celestial analogs to "Size", with a small "Ethereal Size" reducing baseline Intelligence but slightly boosting baseline Precision, and a small "Celestial Size" reducing baseline Will but slightly increasing baseline Perception. Humans would be the "largest" of the Corporeal species in Ethereal and Celestial terms. I might be going a bit far: while it makes sense to give animals a higher base Perception to offset their probable shortage of Celestial Forces and to short-change them on both Will and Intelligence, the only justification I have for increasing their base Precision is to maintain the symmetry. Still, five out of six ain't bad…)
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote