View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
hal

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS High-Tech: Adventure Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
FYI, there does exist an algorithm that is used to get GURPS damage numbers from muzzle velocity and caliber that Hans and David use to convert real-world stats to game values. It uses slightly more friendly numbers than mine (sqrt(KE) instead of sqrt (KE^1.04), for example) but produces self-consistent and reliable results. I've seen it, played with it a while back, and it's a fine model.
Like I said - the spreadsheet I have lists the various calibers as well as the muzzle velocity of the rounds involved. If you'd like the information, I'd be more than happy to send it your way :)

And yes, I used your values rather than that which was used officially, since I didn't have access to the actual formula. I purchased two books from Amazon.com, one being a book on colts, and one being a book on winchesters. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to have the data I was really looking for. The one book I used however, listed at its back appendix, the varying velocities for the rounds. I had to use the Cartridges of the world to fill in the blanks where I could, and used the information that was presented. On the other hand, if you guys already have all that information, then you don't need my data tables. I figured I'd try and save some effort on some of the guns. As I mentioned, I was running a campaign set in 1870, and the research I found indicated that some of the bullets were developed in 1868, 1869, and 1870. That indicated to me at least, that some of these rounds were being used in conversions, which started some time in the 1869's or so.

My players are all aboard a train heading for Silverton Colorado on the Kansas Pacific, where some Marshals are transporting a prisoner back from Kansas to Colorado wanted in connection with murder of a VIP. Turns out, the prisoner is ex-Confederate raider with some men who are willing to spring him out if they can. I plan on having a few people with a pepperbox (looks like a rounded gatling gun like set of barrels) plus a remington four shot derringer, plus a few converted pistols plus a fair number of cap and ball revolvers, not to mention a few Henry's and a few yellow boy reminton rifles plus a few shotguns to boot. There seems to be a shortage of shotgun stats for that time period :(

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote