View Single Post
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
...?

TBH even though my ST is better than my DX, I don't find it an attractive option because it only applies to one limb. If I used a Beat on one leg, you'd just kick me with the other leg.
Oh, beat is only important if your ST is higher than your DX. Your ST is equal to your DX, not higher.

Quote:
I can only see it becoming useful in a fight later on if I somehow managed to cripple a limb and limit your options. Beat is just not very good for people who rely on a menagerie of competetive combat options.
Beat is a ST-based roll, and those just struggle in Gurps.

Quote:
That would be a separate kind of restriction, because supposedly you can burn it whenever you like. Maybe it should be something like a free action people can only do voluntarily at the start of their turn, or involuntarily at any time?
No, you need to be able to burn in at any time except PIF, because that's when you mentally can't push yourself any harder.

Quote:
I guess the 1 point technique adaptation perk covers non-karate forms getting it. Karate does need stuff to keep pace with Brawling. Boxing just gets left behind Brawling in general, of course.

Boxing has two massive bonus over brawling: it gets a damage bonus and it gets to use the higher retreat bonus.

Quote:
The high AP guy isn't going to want to risk wasting his recovery maneuver if he might regain more AP than he can store. Someone with HT 12 can, if they roll a 3 or 4 (MoS 8-9) recover 3 AP on an Evaluate (or untriggered Wait/AOD) or 4 AP on a Do Nothing, so they're probably going to want to spend 4 AP before they do it.

Well, he doesn't want 1 second of break for every second of attack. But breaks benefit the guy with higher endurance more than they benefit the guy with lower endurance much of the time.

Quote:
A lot of people can be quick if they windmill inaccurately.
But it doesn't feel like innaccurate windmilling. The classic innaccurate windmiller gets knocked down with a simple punch, because he's all out attacking. This guy is taking an exhausting number of accurate if unsubtle punches, each of which has to be blocked.

Rolled another 5! why wasn't I attacking? oh well. I gain 3 AP, and I'm now at 5. I do nothing again. Lets run out that clock. 12 turns of adrenaline left.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote