View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #72
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
True, though beat only matters if I'm
...?

TBH even though my ST is better than my DX, I don't find it an attractive option because it only applies to one limb. If I used a Beat on one leg, you'd just kick me with the other leg.

I can only see it becoming useful in a fight later on if I somehow managed to cripple a limb and limit your options. Beat is just not very good for people who rely on a menagerie of competetive combat options.

Quote:
That does sound fair-- you can spend points above max despite PIF. I'd want to make sure you can't burn FP while in the PIF zone though.
That would be a separate kind of restriction, because supposedly you can burn it whenever you like. Maybe it should be something like a free action people can only do voluntarily at the start of their turn, or involuntarily at any time?

Involuntary burns happen from injury and aren't desirable since shock counts against PIF.

Quote:
a spin feels very non-boxing to me.
I guess the 1 point technique adaptation perk covers non-karate forms getting it. Karate does need stuff to keep pace with Brawling. Boxing just gets left behind Brawling in general, of course.

Quote:
True, you can kick at DX-2, at which point your skill 9 will defeat me via laughter.
There's always telegraphing.

Quote:
I'm not sure how AP recovery fits into the natural flow of a fight. You'd think that the lower HT opponent would favor lots of short flurries, and that the high HT opponent would want to keep the pressure up, leaving less time for recovery. But in game the HT player likes lots of short breaks, because they get AP back faster.
The high AP guy isn't going to want to risk wasting his recovery maneuver if he might regain more AP than he can store. Someone with HT 12 can, if they roll a 3 or 4 (MoS 8-9) recover 3 AP on an Evaluate (or untriggered Wait/AOD) or 4 AP on a Do Nothing, so they're probably going to want to spend 4 AP before they do it.

Quote:
As a note, I'm surprised at how quick your character feels. Or at least how active. He's throwing two attacks for every one of mine. I don't feel like I'm playing a nimble guy against a tough guy, I feel like I'm playing a precise but slower veteran against a younger and quicker fighter. Despite your character having more points in the unarmed skill than mine.
A lot of people can be quick if they windmill inaccurately.

I'm actually wondering if I'd be better off using Rapid Strike (two rights at -6 each) instead of DWA (right at -4, left at -8) representing a double-jab instead of a one-two combo.

They're very similar and it's the -1 to defend that DWA gives which puts it over the top in my eyes. I should be taking that -1 to damage from left-handed punches into account though. It hasn't come up so far.

Quote:
I do nothing.
Dropping your accumulating Evaluate bonus to get that sweet +4 eh?

Well, it's my turn. You didn't trigger my AOD so I get my HT roll. I get a 14, failure.

Quote:
Go ahead and attack at 3 yards if you dare.
I can play that game, I also Do Nothing!. Make your HT+4 roll!

(it feels weird there being such high odds of not regaining any AP at all. If I were using the ⅒AP idea, maybe something like "everyone rolls at +10, but divides MoS by 10" could give results that are a little less all-or-nothing)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote