View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Refplace

Default Re: Anyone use effect-shaping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
hanks Refplace. The cap of +10 for bonuses is not part of my proposed house rule, just a fault of my memory. You've reminded me that the max is higher, so that means that Rank should count against the bonuses. At low level, it helps hit the max, and at high levels, it helps you in circumstances where you can't get as many other bonuses as you'd like.

I didn't mean to imply a specific cap to starting skill in RM and path skills. Rather, I estimated what a player would want to spend. If he cuts his griffin rider skills to bare minimum and really focuses on magic, he could swing a couple more levels or get 1 level from an IQ bump that would help with lots of other skills he has to buy anyway.
Nice nod to Rank.
Ok the last paragraph confuses me.
One of the optional Rules was Magery caps skill. I thought that was what you were using in a modified form above?

From memory an idea I once had was for a typical High Fantasy game using Path/Book
Priests had Power Investiture instead of Magery and PI capped skills.
Non-priests could cast but at -5; Clerical Investment removed the -5
Bonus were gained from Sancity and age of the Temple, time (liked the idea of long ritual prayer), and helpers with other bonuses from Thaumatology as well (No Deacons).
Rank added its level as a Bonus.
Blessed/Very Blessed +1/+2 Bonus.
Sense of Duty to the religion or god was +1 (Actual duty was typically required but didnt help here)
Paths were based on the Deities Aspects and most Deities had Books for special professions and priestly roles.
Theology was used to invent new Rituals and was encouraged so I didn't have to invent everything.

This gave me a nice mix of adventuring priests and stay at home priests who could still be powerful.
Never ran it though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 07-23-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote