View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: Looking for rules for my different way of using magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Depending on power level, you might find Improvised Items (GURPS Thaumatology: Magical Styles, p. 25) useful.
To tailor that to the OP's idea, I'd allow a lot of points to be put into that perk, and maybe say that you could use any number of levels you have in it to get a higher-point cost spell stone (spell-object? doesn't sound like he'd be using 'stones' per se but the idea's similar enough). If you add in Preparation Required and maybe limit its use to spells the character already has (call it... maybe a 60% limitation combined with a 10% enhancement for a grand total of -50%?) then you've got a fairly balanced system, I think.

If his only mode of casting is making these items, then a separate "Item-Crafting" Magery variant might be in order to allow the learning of spells that have Magery requirements. I'd call this variant 5 points for Magery 0 and then 5 points for each level of Magery past that, unless the OP doesn't want his character to possess the magic item detection abilities of Magery 0, in which case I'd charge 5 points for each level of that magery.

I think it'd come to somewhere around that cost if you used Limited and Modified Magery from Thaumatology, but my copy's a whole five feed away and I just got off shift.

Maybe I'm looking at this completely wrong and some variant of Limited and Modified Magery would do the trick without Improvised items, I dunno.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote