Old 08-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Addiction and long-term effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Let's go through my post you quoted. I have put relevant text in bold:

So to be clear:

1) As it was unclear, I was not talking about "moderate use".

2) Many sweeteners contain sugar alcohols, known to be diarrhetics or to cause bloating. This is well documented and for those of us with other gastrointestinal problems, can cause very severe complications.

3) I have first hand knowledge due to my own health problems and trial and error with what foods I can and cannot handle.

4) This has been confirmed by my doctor.

5) As well as by my nutritionist.

6) Multiple nurses and similar medical staff have also warned me of this.

7) The track record for studies revealing things, especially when doing so would hurt large industries, isn't so great. Not just due to obfuscation, but simply because there is only so much testing that can be done or will be done before bringing a product to market. We don't have the test subjects use something their whole lives, raise their kids using it, then raise those kids using it to get ideas. Then there are all the things about the human body we don't understand...

8) Chain letter? At least give me the credit to have gotten it watching some of the various health/medicine based talk shows! XD

So trying to again make this relevant to addictions, even minor side effects can be important for health problems as well as addictions.
Thanks for the clarification.
Okay, I tend not to think of sugar alcohols as artificial sweeteners as they are found in nature just not in large quantities. I tend to think of the purely artificial ones not found in nature.
Also, I assumed you meant detrimental to most humans rather than just some or even just you. Everything is bad for someone. For example, my anxiety condition makes me ultra sensitive to B12. I ingest too much of that and I will have an unbearable attack. I do wish trial and error wasn't needed for nearly every unique aspect of "our" biochemistries. Doctors and nurses are not nutritionists and even they are not immune to fad hysteria and misinformation.
There has to be some indication of harm in someone long before a substance can be considered harmful enough for the general public to consider. We do love our "canaries in a coal mine". The fact that no reputable study has shown aspartame to do jack squat to healthy people other than give some a headache or taste horrendously bitter says that it will not suddenly become toxic only after decades of use.
Sucralose is new, but it seems even more biologically "normal". I doubt it will be shown to ever have detrimental long term effects. But I won't blindly ignore any data that suggests otherwise.
As a diabetic it gets my goat when someone tries to tell me how bad my diet Pepsi is. If they want me to just eat vegetables and meat for the rest of my life to avoid going blind, then they can go suck a lemon.
I guess it all comes down to personal risk assessment which we humans are horrible at without careful scientific study.
Thank you for reading my partial apologetic response. If you get through the wall of text that is.