Thread: Dabbler Perk
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Dabbler Perk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Pretty necessary, yes. For the main game I had in mind (GURPS Traveller), I wound up with 39 skills* on the design/repair/use chart I made to show which ones of them were used together on what sorts of equipment. Even at 1 CP per skill, that's a pretty hefty investment, turning the engineer into a one-trick pony (at least at the usual 150-ish CP budget). Going heavy on the IQ runs the usual risk of turning the engineering into the all-IQ-skills character (Spock rather than Scotty!). An Engineer Talent winds up being not terribly different from an Engineer! wildcard. .
Just a note but Mathematical Aptitude already covers all Engineering Skills. Math and Physics too which you'll probably think and engineer should have just because.

Then as I stated above Mechanic (Starships) will let you fix _anything_ on a starship including the small appliances in the galley (as long as they're built-in rather than freestanding). One supposes this was why the USAF in the 70s ordered coffeemakers from Boeing instead of Sears.

Finally I'll agree about Spacer. Professional Skill (Nuclear Plant Operator) is what you use on a TL7-8 nuclear power plant and Spacer covers built-ins. I'm pretty sure the plant mostly operates itself. that sort of thing explains how the Scouts get away with so many fewer watchstanders than the Navy.