View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 05:00 AM   #13
Tomsdad

Default Re: Bullets: Overpenetration, Tumbling, Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In real life, it's plenty.

You took half a sentence out of a much longer post that followed a post that pretty much showed how a .22LR to the head in GURPS can easily lead to death. It's just a surer thing with more powerful rounds, my point was in that context.

There's a reason why those chaps in the basement in Poland in 1940 were not using .22's

But I agree with your points about Skull DR and low powered hollow points interacting oddly.

I actually think really low DR probably shouldn't be doubled when it comes to hollow point as the such low DR probably won't meaningfully benefit from the less hard material, especially the min DR 1 bit! (human skin really shouldn't suddenly take on the DR effectiveness of hardened leather when resisting hollow points)

As you say it gets weird anyway with 1d+1 damage. 1d+1 pi- vs. an un-armoured target = on average a 2pt injury

Make it 1d+1 pi (AD0.5, min 1DR) and it's still = on average a 2pt injury

The closer you get to maximum damage the more it favours the hollow point though.

This leaves aside that some lower velocity round won't fully expand a hollow point anyway (this includes a lot of .22LRs fired from pistols)

But it is a round with a long history and a wide range of performance which is also something that doesn't help this conversation when trying to apply it to real world experience. Given a range of 575 to 1,750 ft/s (175 to 533 m/s). it very much matters what .22 you're firing and what you're firing it from!

And of course even if you don't penalise hollow points when going through the skull, you get no benefit in GURPS anyway as the location injury multiplier supersedes the adjusted round's multiplier.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 04-01-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote