View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
Bruno

Default Re: Magery - First Impression

Presuming the campaign disad limit is -100 points (the 50% suggestion from the basic set) the OP may be mistakenly counting attribute reductions separately from their disadvantages, and therefore have -100 points in standard disadvantages plus attribute reductions (-20 in reduced Will, I'll guess around -20 in reduced Perception (same limit), and possibly a ST penalty because some people making wizards think like that).

That would "account" for -140 or -150 in disads. And then -5 points in quirks if the group counts them separately from disads, which some do.

This is a character who's going to be a robotic slave to their disadvantages, or is going to have character points sucked out of them for violating their disadvantages every session. You can't even earn the CP to buy off unwanted disads if you're loosing all your earned CP because you don't play them.

Unlike some people I'm not against high-disad-value characters conceptually, but you have to be seriously committed to your characters disads, your GM has to be buying in to having a neurotic mess of a PC, and other players have to be comfortable with the amount of GM attention the PC will be sponging up just to administer its disads.

The easiest disads to deal with are the ones with simple mechanical penalties - "gives a penalty to these skills, forbids those skills" ones in particular are basically zero maintenance once you enter play, also "normal human experience" physical disabilities (e.g. "one arm", "bad sight") are pretty easy to administer. Social disadvantages can be annoying or straightforward ("Everyone reacts to me at -4" is pretty simple), and mental disadvantages can demand a lot of overhead.

But if you have -100 points in things like Parapalegic, Bad Sight, Epilepsy, etc your character is going to either end up as the center of attention anyways, as adventure locations are rarely handicap-accessible, or is going to just get abandoned by the other PCs in a safe location, because the adventure location is a logistical nightmare.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote