View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #395
drgflyy

Default Re: Member House Rules

So, aside from customizing my decks a bit (removing all of the GUALs and most of the plus usable-only-once cards), here are a couple of house rules that we have adopted over the past three years of playing:

1) When going to Epic, your levels no longer count for your combat bonus.

2) You can only have 2 sides-ways cards on the table to indicate what is in your "back pack"

and our newest way of playing:

3) Double Jeopardy Munchkin:
When playing with 5 or more people, we choose two distinct genres of Munchkin cards, and keep the separate. Each player gets a character from each of the two genres. We then play both genres as separate games, starting one on one side of the board, and one on the other; with concept that they will keep going around the board without catching up to each other (even though they sometimes do).

I know this sounds complicated, but it is actually quite a lot of fun. The two genres never meet, so, for example, your Classic Munchkin character cannot put a curse on someone else's Space Munchkin character, nor could they help them if they wanted to. What this style does do is makes the game move at a frantic pace, with barely enough time to see what anyone else is doing (so leaving lots of room for cheating), and always keeps you occupied, as it is either your turn, your other turn or you're trying to get someone else. We played this way with nine people the other day and it was a hoot!

Another great benefit to Double Jeopardy Munchkin is that you end up with two winners! So if you're doing really bad in one genre, you may be doing a lot better in the other. I know that's not very Munchkinly, but maybe we could have them battle to the death for an ultimate winner after the two champions trounce everyone else.
drgflyy is offline   Reply With Quote