View Single Post
Old 04-15-2010, 05:41 AM   #30
Orlin

Default Re: Gaming and the Corporate World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
A class iii firearm license allows you to own and operate automatic weapons, but only if they are created before May (?) 1986. So no one outside the military or LE would be allowed to have anything in the current HK inventory.
Thanks for clarifying that. You aren't the first person to mention 1986.

Quote:
As a dealer, and with a wink and a nod from LE who buys the stuff, yeah, he would have, IMO, a gray tacit allowance to have anything. All he really needs to do is order a gun demonstration and he can shoot these things all he wants after all. No one asks a store owner if he samples the pastrami. No one would really ask much if a guy at his level takes a few samples home. Maybe one each.
I spoke about this point at length with my Corporal (I work in a county jail), and he brought up an interesting point as well. He said that it may be possible that, as a COO of H&K, he might have access to a manufacturer's license, but that the only way he would be able to possess a dealer's license is if he had operated a business on the side. This was interesting, but I rather like the "dealers license" as a cinematic excuse to have a few guns -- but I'll keep note of your answer here and use it to defend my point. A few could be obtained legally, but more and we begin to cross over into legally questionable territory.

Quote:
But a crate of guns isn't a sample. And having bodies suddenly show up with HK military bullets in them would raise questions.
I whole heartedly agree, but so far I've deliberately avoided the question of "How many guns do I have?" and have informed him that Michael sometimes demands that he outfit other Malakim. So far, it is assumed that this outfit has all come from his personal aresenal -- however big or small that may be. If there are ways to launder or sanitize these distributions (and I'm sure there are), this character would be ontop of it.

Quote:
At this point, there will not be a direct je accuse' moment, but inventory rolls will be gone through and he will join a (reasonably) short list...but he'd be at the bottom. First they would go through all the local armories, checking things...unless this weapon is NOT in any of the local inventories (If someone is shot with an MP5 submachine gun in LA, but neither the local military or LE has it, then the list becomes MUCH shorter). There are stories to tell, and ways around things, but that is the problem of the player, not the GM.
This will definitely come up at some point during the story.

Quote:
Let me say that a Celestial at that level of society would be treated with incredible delicacy. If I were Michael (And this is me), I wouldn't let him even OWN a Fiery Sword and he would be forbidden to shoot anything! But then, I wouldn't have put a Malakim there either.) "Your job is to make sure the OTHERS can shoot, not go shoot yourself. Now get to work!"
While I completely understand where you're coming from, I think I'm rather fond of the vigilante Malakite who's also a corporate president. Yes, it's overdone, but it's very Holywood. The way we've played his relationship, however, his position and status are treated as delicately as Hollywood allows. Given the nature and frequency of Michael's visits, it's very nearly safe to say that the character is micromanaged.

I don't come down quite so hard on disturbance as I should, mostly because of how difficult it is to calculate. As a general rule, unless we're talking about low and consistent disturbances or very loud bursts, I tend to lean back on my players (especially because they're new to the genre). As the game persists, and my knowledge of LA and the disturbance calculation method grow (right now the toughest part is figuring out how many people are in hearing range and what their perception rolls would be -- I've never done it before because it isn't worth the hassle), so too will the degree of severity caused by disturbances.

So far, the fiery sword has become the characters staple weapon when dealing with demons. Guns are nice, but we're still talking In Nomine -- a 50 caliber, 150 grain round from a high powered sniper rifle with a scope at just enough range for the bullet to hit terminal velocity should pretty much destroy anything it hits, but alas, it hardly puts a dent in most of the antagonists (unable to rationalize this, I allowed him to vessel-kill an unsuspecting Balseraph with a single hit, but we discussed at the end of the session that he should not expect that by any means, and we will need to come up with a system for damage that makes characters tough, but not indestructible -- or else increases weapon damage.

Quote:
Because if that guy ever gets caught by LE or detected by Celestials, every single file of HK's inventory will be combed through to find out how much other chicanery had been done. Michael is smart enough to have lots of cut outs...but he delegates. SOME angels or sympathizers etc would be found.
The biggest problem I'm having is finding out how this delegation is conducted and how these hand-outs are done, but I believe I'm getting a firmer grasp.

Quote:
But this is a realistic assessment, not a cinematic assessment.
Amen!

Quote:
Edit to add: Direct answer. In my nonprofessional opinion, yes he would have access to everything. But it would be very hard to 'sneak' them without raising flags. He would easily be allowed to have one of everything "Haw haw. Yes. I keep them as conversation pieces on my wall. The women love them. And it's good promotional material when we have dinner parties..." But in that case, they will be documented.
I have no problem keeping him on a government list, even when it grants him benefits (read: grants me plot-hooks). He paid for his role and status fair and square. He'll get both the penalties and bonuses associated with them.

Quote:
A few points to consider:

Are these locations factories or distribution points? If everything is manufactured in Germany, that makes stealing this stuff harder.
From my [limited] understanding, most of the actual weapon manufacturing is done in Germany, although I have an article regarding a new Heckler and Koch "gun plant" in Georgia, which is (along with Virginia), one of their U.S. Headquarters. I could easily run a story with Marc (and/or a crew of faithful commercial industry servitors) in the backdrop, helping the gun plant come into creation.

Quote:
What other help does he have? As COO, he could manipulate quite a bit, but his job would be much easier if he had some people downstairs helping him.
This is one of the reasons I initially posted my inquiry. Now that I have a rudimentary idea of how the archetypal corporation operates along the upper-echelon, I think the next step is determining their subsidiaries, major competitors, and corporate divisions -- otherwise, I'll just make them up. "Jake is in R&D improving the carbine format for a high-powered assault rifle that will be demonstrated in Germany," "Pamela is an accountant willing to help cover up financial holes," "Jaques is a security guard who will soon be vessel-killed in the line of fire when David and his servitors show up in the form of some local gangs to hijack the shipment..." etc.

So far, the only "helper" is an Elohite of Judgment with whom he rarely fornicates and occasionally trades secrets.

Quote:
Plot Hook: Baal would love to have a person in such an institution too...just saying. If not now, later. And a Belseraph of War could have a LOT of fun.
The question is, where to place him?

Thanks again for all your help!