View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 AM   #14
Captain-Captain

Default Re: [DF] Difference between Hidden Lore and Occultisme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz
See my problem with a lot of the suggestions so far is that to me they just seem to assume that Hiden Lore simply gives more precise information. But isn't that just supposed to be covered by a higher skill level?

Making a new skill based on HOW you learn it rather than WHAT it learns you seem completely un-GURPS like.

They are also both IQ/A skills, the only difference beeing that Occultisme has a default (IQ-5) and Hidden lore do not.

---

I'm starting to think that Hidden Lore is a legacy from some Cthullu book from 3e that are not supposed to go together with occultisme but used in such campaigns, instead of it.

---

My questions came from the fact that DF seem to use Hidden Lore as "Monster Knowledge"-skills but still includes Occultism as a valid skill. In a world were Demons, undeads and spirits are facts of life it seem weird to me to use Hidden Lore (without any possible defaults) as a Monster Knowledge skill, as everybody knows a bit about them.

So now I consider simply merging the two skills into one. Include a Default-5 and simple put a high penalty on rolls where you want to know the name of the 7th demonlord of hell or some such precise information.
Different TYPE of information. Not even a critical success with occultism will get you knowledge that the skill does not possess. Occultims deals with obscure knowables. Hidden Lore deals in things that should NOT be known at all.

It's something akin to herb lore and Alchemy. Unless you have a Gm take the trouble to make them more distinct, they overlap on lots of things. The assumption is that the Gm allows for knowlege that is out of reach of occultims that is available thourh Hidden Lore. If this is not really the case, DO NOT TAKE HIDDEN LORE!!!!
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote