View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #16
Ultraviolet

Default Re: Slam and Shield Rush rules broken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote6 View Post
That seems high, as it implies that anyone bowled over three times will be rolling to stay conscious, assuming no DR. Given how many times an NFL quarterback can get knocked down in a game, I don't think pads provide enough DR to keep 'em above zero HP after a typical game, if that's the rule.

I usually just revert to 3e rules - quick contest of ST, with modifiers - when a slam comes up in my current game. That's always semi-normal human vs. the same, though.
I played a *lot* of 3e, mostly Cliffhangers - and boy did we Slam a lot.
I saw massive problems with 3e RAW in practice. Speed meant less, but Mass means one heck of a lot more.
IIRC it was a contest of ST, Wrestling gave bonus per full 8 points of score. Moving full speed before impact, or having moved full speed the round before and performing a Step-and-Attack gave +2. Slamming fro behind was a further +2, as was Flying Tackle (attacker leaps but is sure to go down himself as well). But the heavier fighter was at +1 per 10 pounds he weighed more.
If the attacker won he moved the defender 1 hex per 2 points MOS. And there was some modified roll to avoid falling down.

And for a character with significant weight, say a ST 13 somewhat heavy (without being Overwight or Fat) picking up most of these bonuses, versus a regular ST 11-12 goon...

We often saw a victim moved further back than his normal running speed.
Caution need to be taken when using the 3e rules.

And for this reason i really liked the 4e Collision rules when I read them. I made a table to cross reference HP and speed to find the modified dice of damage.
But after years of use there seems to be very little difference unless one combatant is of extreme mass or speed. And bonus from Sumo, AoA, or shields is massive realtive to the basic damage.
But on the other hand we don't use it as much.