View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Quixotic Qlippoth
Banned

Default Re: Hit location miss by 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
If the hit location I hit when I miss the original target by 1 depends on how I describe my strike, I suspect my PC will announce many strikes that sound sensible in isolation, but which are not terribly realistic in an ongoing fight. This simply opens a new area for munchkinism.
I assumed he meant that (a) character attack type (swing, thrust etc) a thrust attack at an ear that misses by one isn't going to follow the same attack trajectory as a swing attack at the ear and that (b) the position of the target would be a factor as well. A thrust attack at an opponent's flank might follow a different path than a thrust attack at the opponent's front.

Both of those make sense to me, at least as an option if you were going to go down that road. Then again, I know there are lots of uhm... "different" personality types in role playing.

Some players will take advantage of anything, some will not. Meanwhile some GMs might not let players make the attack they want because they don't feel it's "terribly realistic in an ongoing fight." ;-)

If your group has trust and they've developed a shorthand with each other you can make lot of things fly that might not work for everyone as a whole (thus where we get things like House Rules). Which is the point I was trying to make originally about RR's comment- it might work perfectly fine in his group and it might be a disaster in the OP's. I was less defending the point of different locations based on position as much as saying that the argument he made had a lot of subjective variables.

I can see a way that would work, but personally I don't mind miss by 1 hits torso. I almost always prefer simplicity because it keeps the pace better.
Quixotic Qlippoth is offline   Reply With Quote