View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #30
Icelander

Default Re: Jason Bourne combat skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskrimadorNC View Post
You aren't the first person that has said that. I've watched the fight scenes in all three Bourne movies (Renner's is NOT a real Bourne movie) several times, and while I can pick out Karate and Judo quite easily, I'm not sure how you can identify Wrestling. Is that an assumption based on Wrestling giving a better training bonus than Judo and how effective Bourne's grapples seem to be, or are there some specific moves or scenes where you watched and said "Yup...that right there is 100% Wrestling and not Judo"?

I'm not sure if that comes across well, this being a written medium and all, but I am not intending to be flippant or condescending. I'm honestly curious.
As you say, using Technical Grappling, the Trained ST bonus from Wrestling is so much higher than Judo (at normal human ST and skill levels), that it's necessary to have Wrestling to perform most of the more brutal grappling and locking moves effectively.

That being said, it's also a factor of the specific styles used in the context of the fight choreography in the movies. It's noted in GURPS Martial Arts that Escrima (referring to Kali/Arnis as well) schools that teaching a lot of grappling add Wrestling to the primary skills.