View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #41
tbone

Default Re: Knowing the outcome of an attack before choosing to actively defend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
Your article in Pyramid #3/34 is great! I'm using most of it. {although I don't get Hesitation...:)}
Thank you! I think you refer the rule at http://www.gamesdiner.com/rules-nugget/gurps-whats-miss . There's not much to that; it only suggests a couple more possible outcomes of an attack TH roll, should the GM be interested in those specific effects:

1) Hesitation: No pressing need to insert this consideration into combat, but it does happen in reality, and can be interesting to game. The suggestion: On a Committed Attack or AOA, there's no chance of hesitation, period. On any other attack, a miss of 1 or 2 means hesitation. No hit, but no loss of ammo, no unready polearm, etc.

2) Wide miss: A really obvious, bad miss. Normally there'd be no reason to care about that, but it's interesting if using DECIDE. With regard to DECIDE, some people have asked "what about gunfire (or other attack) that'll obviously miss?" I don't have a good answer for what determines that condition; a detailed answer should probably involve the defender checking a combat skill, with Per mods, to judge an obvious miss that'll require no defense. For simplicity, I just suggested "a miss by 5+" as a really obvious miss. That means the Nazi is shooting off his Uzi in such a blatantly wrong direction that you don't need to jump for cover, and can calmly continue your return Aim and then fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I like and understand the idea of DECIDE. For ranged combat, I prefer a variant of the Limiting Dodges options from Martial Arts, which is similar to your tweak and DECIDE option 1.
I assume you mean Restricted Dodge Against Firearms on MA123. That's even more strict than DECIDE; it has several restrictions, and if I'm reading it right, allows you to defend against only ONE specified shooter. Yet, it's unclear whether the specified "evasive movement" is disruptive like a Dodge, or whether it has no effects unless the shooter fires and TH succeeds. In other words, it appears to still let you say "naw, that bullet won't hit me, so I won't Dodge", and continue your Aim or Concentrate without a hiccup.

I could be wrong, though. The text could be clearer on that.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote