View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
Tomsdad

Default Re: Face & Neck location damage multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Neck and face is already by the rules much more damaging to be hit in, even in combat-time.

Neck for instance, take more damage from both crushing and cutting than torso.
I wouldn't say an extra x0.5 is 'much more damaging'

Quote:
The only thing that has the same wounding multiplier is impaling and piercing. And that's because the torso is chuck-full of vulnerable vitals that are rather easy to hit by such attacks. Just as the neck it.
I'd argue the neck is more full of immediately vital stuff, and the torso offers more protection against its immediately vital stuff (ribs, muscle, tissue and greater spacing).

Quote:
Arms and legs do not get a x2 multiplier from impaling exactly because they lack such vitals in them. (So your 3 pts impaling would only deal 3 pts against a leg, but 6 against neck or face).
which is fine for comparing the neck to an arm, not so important for comparing a neck to a torso.

Also given there is no crippling of a neck (with related penalties), that still basically means a neck can absorb as much damage from an impaling thrust as a torso or rather thr target can absorb as much damage from an impaling attack to the neck as he can from the torso (the theoretical upper limit of blow on the torso through not withstanding but see below).

Quote:
In addition, using the blow-through rules, there is a max HP you can lose from a torso hit by impaling/piercing, which there are not for neck/face.
Which only really effect fire arms and really large Low Tech wounds, which my their effect it really a moot point. I.e 10 pt wounds as dealt with in GURPS are just fine, its the smaller but still significant ones that I'm on about.

Basically blow through is exactly that a powerful enough bullet to blow through has by definition not expended all it's energy in the body, the way GURPS calculates bullet damage is directly form bullet energy (which is fine) so it makes a lot of sense to make that point in the rules. However it's an effect that's more relevant to small projectiles moving very fast, and not so much for larger weapons moving more slowly (and again the fact that it's moot for the majority of these makes that point as well).

Quote:
An optional rule you could consider is to say that for an impaling/piercing attack to "reach" the vitals in the torso they need to do more than 1/4 targets HP. So for a normal HP:10 person you would need to make a 3 dam attack in order to hit vitals (deliberately or on the 1 in 6 roll).
Now that I like, it deals with getting past the 'padding' so to speak, however I think I'd keep torso as is and only have that for neck and face. That said I'm not sure how different that would be form just upping the multipliers in terms of the end result.

Any cheers of the replies, I'm off to start a roast dinner so if I may not post for a couple of hours!

EDIT: sorry just par boiling the potatoes so nipped back in

Last edited by Tomsdad; 03-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote