View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #48
ULFGARD

Default Re: The Future of the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game?

This just sucks. I had such high hopes for the DFRPG line. I started a campaign within a month of getting the boxed set. I ran them through I Smell a Rat, which took 4 sessions, but included more sewer exploration (and therefore improv on my part), the beginning of some conflict with the local mafia (think Gnomish mafia from a Pyramid article way back), and preparations to rob the town's mayor. I think this might be some of the difference between the Pathfinder, etc., adventures I've played - they seem to be much more railroad-y, though that could be a matter of play style between groups. Either way, I wonder if OGL licensed adventures could include GURPS stats, if for no other reason than to let players and DMs know that this other system can run the same adventures.

I have to say that I have included non-DFRPG material from the very beginning. Two of my players have played GURPS in the past. I imported one slightly experienced DF Druid character (which required importing animal companions and a couple of spells from Magic). The other player wanted something different. She ended up settling on a Dungeon Alchemist. Regardless of how much DF material I import, I'm still considering the DFRPG game itself to be the "core" of the campaign.

Is it possible to make the existing books available for POD? I think that, coupled with a free conversion guide, this could be a gateway into the broader DF line (and GURPS as a whole). In any event, it's a sad day.