View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 AM   #25
Anaraxes

Default Re: Passive cover bonus from shield and cloak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
1. So, will double jointed actually work when trying to block attacks from the non-shield side?
I don't think that's the intent of RAW. I wouldn't be upset if a GM wanted to allow it. There would be biomechanics involved other than just whether or not you can reach, and the weapon itself gives you more reach for a Parry than a shield does for a Block. But it's a 15-point Advantage, and the sorts of characters that want to be Double-Jointed generally aren't the sort that are toting around shields anyway.

Quote:
2. Imagine I have a cloak and I am being attacked from the non-shield side or from behind. Let's say I decided to dodge and make the cloak provide me a passive defense bonus (penalty to hit). How would you resolve it?
I'd say you don't get the DB. A cloak used as a shield is wrapped around your arm, perhaps with a dangling bit for distractions or to whip at your opponent, as in this 1570 image. You don't get the DB just because you're wearing a cloak normally. It's a thick wad of cloth armor you can use to block a blow much as with a wooden shield. You'll have to ready the cloak as a defense in your off hand first.

Quote:
I grab the cloak as a matador (or batman) to make my dodge or a block? Will this effectively yield me the DB?
Same answer if you're trying to be realistic. If I wanted the game to be cinematic enough to encourage that sort of stunt for Batman, I might allow it. But I'd go with calling it a "Dirty Trick" (B405) that gives a bonus to Dodge.

(For Batman specifically, it's also quite likely that cloak tricks are just cool fluff that justify buying Enhanced Dodge.)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote