View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 06:20 AM   #24
Polydamas

Default Re: Passive cover bonus from shield and cloak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
2. Imagine I have a cloak and I am being attacked from the non-shield side or from behind. Let's say I decided to dodge and make the cloak provide me a passive defense bonus (penalty to hit). How would you resolve it?
Do you mean "have a cloak wrapped around your arm (Ready)"? If you do, it counts as a shield, if you have it but it is not Ready it provides no protection except any inherent DR.

Quote:
3. What I happens if I quick sheathe (this is from power-ups) my weapon while I am being attacked and then I grab the cloak as a matador (or batman) to make my dodge or a block? Will this effectively yield me the DB?
It takes one or more Ready manoevres to wrap a cloak, poncho, denim jacket, etc. around your arm to use it as a shield, see page B383. Until it is Ready, it provides no DB and cannot Block.

Quote:
To clarify what I actually wanted to point as "errata": I meant the DB from cloaks, which you cannot receive unless you employ them as "fencing shields". When I started playing, me and my party took the DB from the cloak even if we did not employ it as a shield; we even ended stacking the DB from the shield and the cloak! And well, maybe it is not "errata" but a fact you need to dig further than the basic books unless you really know how cloaks can work in combat (hence the quotes in "errata").

- Hide
Page 374 "If you have a ready shield, add its Defense Bonus (DB) to any Dodge, Parry, or Block roll against an attack that came from in front of you or from your shield side. Defense Bonus is 1 for a small shield, light cloak, and most improvised shields; 2 for a medium shield or heavy cloak; and 3 for a large shield or force shield. The Shield spell (p. 252) gives a DB of 1-4." Page 383 has rules for reading a cloak to use it as a shield.

I think that all it needs is "ready shield -> ready shield or cloak."

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote