View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #16
kirbwarrior

Default Re: Rule of Thumb for Enchantment Energy Cost of Custom Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Before I got to this point I would first want to balance Character Pt costs against each other. That downward change for Longevity was only one of the legacy costs that needed to be made. A significant number of others remain. This is why I am dubious of Magic as Powers as an alternative to standard Magic..
I understand that, and that's why I've personally gone through and tried to hit outliers (MyGurps's note about age related traits makes a great point). I wouldn't say MaP is perfect, but I've found it both far more balanced than Magic and easier to change or create things as needed. For instance, my post earlier about prices was based around Wealth being the money trait and reversing it. Money itself is not well balanced intentionally since what people want in real life is absolutely different from what Players want to buy, and what adventuring characters want to buy. Mind, then there's the further "What metric are we using to ensure balance?" and I don't want to derail this topic.

I do like the simplistic 1cp=100 energy, even if it doesn't line up with Magic enchanting, since it's at least close and it's a simple rule to follow.

Since Enchantment Energy cost is basically a middle man to item cost, you can figure out what tier of wealth level you want casually buying the item then reverse the cost from there to get the energy cost.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote