View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 08:24 PM   #11
hal

Default Re: Rule of Thumb for Enchantment Energy Cost of Custom Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Of_Bel View Post

What do you mean by this? I've got a 4e Gurps Magic.
GURPS MAGIC for 4e is largely unchanged from all the earlier editions of GURPS MAGIC. That isn't to say that there are no changes, but that where it counts the most in energy costs, durations, enchantment energy costs and the likes (such as prerequisites), the spells are pretty much the same.

Where the edition changes show up the most are:

GURPS MAGIC for 4e combined EARTH TO STONE with STONE TO METAL from GURPS GRIMOIRE. It also introduced spells like ESSENTIAL WOOD, which as a spell, does better for wood than adding extra DR and fire-proofing enchantments for the energy costs involved than I'd allow a player made spell to have in a campaign (but due to being published material, is canon).

If you ever want to have fun, grab GURPS FANTASY 1st edition (where MAGIC spells for GURPS was first introduced), GURPS MAGIC 1st edition, GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition, plus 2nd edition 2nd printing, GURPS GRIMOIRE, and finally GURPS MAGIC for 4e - to chart how the magic rules changed over time, and I think you might get a chance to see why GURPS MAGIC for 4e is the way it is. Subtle changes to spells such as COPY demonstrate intended changes to make spells more useful. Then there are the structural changes in enchantment rules that, though minor, are major in effect. Case in point: a skill 12 enchanter could create a power 15 items by taking longer to enchant their item, trading time for skill in enchantments, something no longer possible in GURPS MAGIC for 4e (due to one line not in GURPS MAGIC for 4e present in prior editions - whether by intent, by accident, or for reasons of word count paring down).

In the end, you'd have to compare the previous editions against each other, if it even matters to you. But - the basic framework of the whole thing remains the same.

I usually advise new GMs to use GURPS CLASSIC MAGIC (GURPS MAGIC 2nd edition 2nd printing plus) so as to avoid some of the issues from GURPS GRIMOIRE (imported into GURPS MAGIC for 4e largely unchanged). Yrth from GURPS FANTASY 1st edition is possible. Yrth as written in GURPS CLASSIC FANTASY (what was GURPS FANTASY 2nd edition) or GURPS BANE STORM could never have come into being as written due to spells introduced with GURPS GRIMOIRE or unfettered access to all the spells in GURPS MAGIC for 4e.

Even now, for my own campaings, spells like EARTH TO STONE are being revamped with new energy costs and/or spell durations to make the game effects of spells less economically devastating for world building purposes.

But, that's a tale for another day. One that largely isn't of much interest for most GURPS fans. ;)

Last edited by hal; 05-15-2018 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Autocorrect changed take to take - darn it
hal is offline   Reply With Quote