View Single Post
Old 03-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #170
dataweaver

Default Re: [PURE THEORY] Low-Tech vs Fantasy-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
So is this official?
I don't think so; but I'll add my meager voice in support of this notion. In particular, I like the "muscle/steam/fusion power" split that this would produce, as well as the implicit distinction between agricultural societies, industrial societies, and informational societies.

I do not want TL4 to be split between two books, though: either put all of it in Low Tech, or put all of it in High Tech. IMHO, including black powder weapons, etc. in the final chapter of Low Tech is no more out of place than including personal computers in the final chapter of High Tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthor
If TL4 is in the new edition of Low-Tech, I see much less of a problem filling the 240-pages with fictional and fantasy stuff. Boxes here and there can do the trick, but you can keep the book focused on historical accuracy.
Dr. Kromm has mentioned the possibility that the TL0-3 material could probably be expanded to as many as 140 pages (give or take), leaving 100 pages to be filled by other material. Bearing in mind that the existing TL4 material is heavily biased toward weapons and armor, it could definitely be added expanded by more than 10%; but would there be enough to more than triple its length (from 30 pages to 100 pages)? And even if so, would we really want to triple its length, if doing so would mean that over 40% of the book would be dedicated to TL4?

Still, I could see 50 or 60 pages dedicated to TL4, leaving a deficit of 40-50 pages to be filled with divergent low-tech stuff - preferably stuff in the "it could have been done, but wasn't" category.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote