View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Stardivers [Space]

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Assume a hyperdrive that can let you make jumps with a maximum range based on the mass of the sun you are leaving. What do you think I should multiply the sun's mass by to get the length of the jump? I'm assuming that it is possible to mount more than stardrive on a ship for increased range but the the only ships that do it are message boat and smugglers.
I did this (without the multiple stardrives thing) and I picked 3.3x (in parsecs) the combined mass in Sols of the stars involved. no jumps into empty space possible.

Using the stellar distribution from (probably) First In it gave me interesting results.

G-class stars usually connected to something though direct links between inhabited systems would probably be rare. 3 to 5 jumps in a zig-zag for what would have been a straight line separation of 20-30 parsecs was the norm.

M-class dwarves seldom connected to anything except the other stars in a multiple star system. Most of the time they could be ignored.

A-class stars usually did connect to at least 1 more A-class and these links could form the backbone of a network. In my setting long trips were referred to as "taking the A train".