View Single Post
Old 09-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #29
tbone

Default Re: Spitballing a Space Opera Boxed Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Mind, I would actually count Space Opera proper as a fourth sub-genre...
Here's where things get fuzzy, or at least resistant to consensus. Are those three things you mentioned actually sub-genres (and if so, of what? Space Opera? Sci-Fi itself?), or frameworks, or what? Is Space Opera a genre or sub-genre or a "lens" ("More fantasy elements!") atop a genre or sub-genre?

I'll leave that to people more versed in these things. I'll just say again that Space Exploration, Military Sci-Fi, and Scoundrels in Space (call them "broad concepts, possibly sub-genres if you will, within sci-fi and/or space opera") struck me as a neat trio for categorizing a lot of game and fiction concepts.

Many fiction concepts would seem to fit into one of the three:

Space Marines Bug-Hunters, or Frontline Rebels Against the Empire: Military Sci-Fi.

"First-In" Scouts: Space Exploration.

Space Pirates: Scoundrels in Space.

Others might combine two:

Star Patrol: Space Exploration + Military Sci-Fi (in the guise of "Shoot 'Em Up Star Ranger Sci-Fi").

Scruffy Guerrilla Rebels Against the Empire: Military Sci-Fi + Scoundrels in Space.

Roguish Scheming Star Traders: Space Exploration + Scoundrels in Space.

(Hm, what would be the ambitious fiction/game concept that combines all three?)

In short, the three concepts struck me as a good trio for a hypothetical Space Opera boxed set to focus on. That's just my quick reaction, though; there may be far better ideas out there. Until then, though, I like your suggestion!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 09-17-2017 at 11:28 PM. Reason: A couple typos, a little clarification
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote