View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Updating/recreating GURPS Mage the Ascension to 4ed

As for the cinematic vs. gritty issue, I'm leaning more towards gritty. My World of Darkness should be a difficult, hazardous, unfriendly place. Besides mages getting help from the rules seems wrong, the point of being a mage is that you can break the rules of the world. Not having access to cinematic rules will make magick stand out that much more as something special.

So no mook rules, no spending CP for successes, no supernatural or exotic traits that are not related to being a mage or the spheres the PC studies.

One exception would be allowing Trained by a Master, mostly for Akashics, and Weapons Master, Gunslinger, or Heroic Archer, mostly for Euthanatos, and the various esoteric skills and some of the cinematic combat options they allow. I'd let PC with TBAM or WM use chambara fighting from Martial Arts and Extra Effort in Combat.

I'm leaning away from Wildcard skills, but might be convinced to use them if it turns out that character sheets are very crowded without them. Certainly there's a good argument for Sons of Ether to have Science!
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote