View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #27
Azel

Default Re: House Rules

Consolidating Low Level Skill Rolls within a Chain of Rolls

low lvl skill = 1 to 2
mid lvl skill = 3 to 4
high lvl skill = 5 to 6

I am curious what people think about consolidating low lvl skills as an auto success when used within a chain of skill rolls. Sometimes I get lazy and I find rolling out multiple rolls tedious. But particularly when two (or more) skill checks are done and the first is really only needed for a CD mod for a latter check's CD.

i.e. Know: Local Area rolled with its CD then added to subsequent Driving check CD.

But low lvl skills tend to not do so well on average (depending they can get over the saddle point hump of 7), and players at times become risk averse, thus staying only on their strongest skills. Also, it's often just extra busy work to make two rolls. Instead, I'm thinking of skipping 1st skill check of the chain -- if the skill is low lvl -- and then just roll over its value as the CD mod to the following skill in the chain.

i.e. Know: Local Area/2, assume success and add 2 to the CD (for better or worse, a la the Risk mechanic) of the Driving/x skill check. Pass or fail, Driving results in CD+2.

Or one could just add those low lvl skills towards skill check Target Numbers. Could be an interesting way to encourage skill diversity, if GM allows such chaining. So you could have players attempt complex tasks, like Tracking someone by Driving through Local Area, even if they have low levels in each skill. Naturally the GM would have to OK it. The challenge is which stat attribute to roll, but I'd be tempted to allow the highest stat.

i.e. Tracking/1, Driving/2, Know:Local Area/1 = 1 + 2 + 1 = +4 to TN roll. Thus roll against highest stat + tallied skills, instead of 3 rolls of relevant realm stat + individual skill and carrying over the CD.

Thoughts? Foreseen problems?
Azel is offline   Reply With Quote